Enterprise Portals: serves as a company’s portal for employees, customers, partners, and the general public to obtain information on a company’s date.
- SteelCase is an enterprise portal for a more capable way of customer relationship management.
- They gain revenue by selling their products and services to users in different countries, offering software in a variety of languages.
General Purpose Portals: a gateway for users to connect to the web and later used as a default site.
- Netscape is a computer service company that offers it’s user access to web browsing.
- Netscape gains its revenue by also selling software.
Vertical Market Portals: a narrow portal that provides information on a specific industry. These portals would be seen as a business-to-business community.
- ConvertFiles.com is an example of a vertical portal. It offers and converting direction to change one file into another. (ex. pdf to word or word to pdf)
- Gains revenue from user count as it offers users to sell their conversion tools as well.
Affinity Groups: groups that share a common interest or goal.
- Fanfiction.net is where fans of all kinds can come in and write fictional pieces of their bases to share with others…..
- Web advertisement is their source of revenue
Focused Content Groups: similar to affinity groups and vertical markets where it focuses on a specific group, focused content groups center around a certain subject.
- Gamehouse.com is a gaming site that garners revenue through subscription and web advertisement.